Monday, August 15, 2011

WEB

In the later months of my seventh grade, I applied for an organization called WEB (Where Everybody Belongs). WEB was designed to help the 6th graders feel welcomed and comfortable in middle school. At Kennedy Middle School, there are 3 steps in entering WEB: filling in an application with essay attached, be involved at the "play day" where everyone comes together for activities, and meet with the teachers for an interview.

My filled out the application truthfully and thoughtfully by myself and wrote the essay independently. One part that was hard for me to write was 5 words to describe myself. I didn't know what to write because I didn't want to exaggerate or something. I used dictionary.com to find synonyms of words that I wanted to use to describe myself. Then I asked my friends if they thought of me that way. Most people agreed and so that's how I chose the words to describe myself. The next test, playday, was rather he people that were grading my performance were both people that I knew so getting in was easy I guess. In addition to this, I am familiar with one of the teachers involved in this giving me ad advantage because those people know me better. With the group activities at the playday, I was quite active, giving ideas and showing them to the group. I noticed one person in our group, named Vicky. She was very bossy, taking over control yelling all over the place. As a result, she wasn't able to get into WEB. During the break before my interview, I was quite nervous because I didn't know what the teachers were going to ask me or how I should answer them. Once I got inside the room, Mrs. Kampp gave me a warm smile, making me feel welcomed. The interview went great and I successfully answered all the questions. A few weeks later, I found out I made it into WEB.

Nearing the end of summer, it was time for the annual WEB training where the people who are in WEB all come together and train to prepare for the orientation. During the orientation every year, all the new kids who are first going to middle school get to Kennedy and have some fun while learning more about each other.

The training started on the Monday of last week, where we got donuts and pizza everyday. On Monday of the training, everyone came together to play lots of games and activities, just to have fun. The second day is where the real training started. To be honest, we didn't do much training before the orientation. Most of the practice was done at home. At school, we just looked at demos of the proper way to lead an activity. After many times watching how to lead an activity, the WEB students all mastered how to lead. The training was actually only 3 days, from Monday to Thursday. Friday came quickly for me and the orientation day was already here.

The orientation began with all the 6th graders gathering to answer questions about themselves. Followed by songs, 13 six graders came to me to play games and interact. I knew what I had to do from top to bottom, so I was able to well lead my part. I was happy with myself at the end of the orientation, feeling accomplished.

This WEB group was fun and a new experience for me. I was glad I joined it. Everyone in the group got WEB t-shirts, which were cool. Anyone who is still thinking about joining WEB in their middle school, I would highly recommend to do so.

No comments: