Saturday, December 25, 2010

San Francisco Zoo

Yesterday, I went to the San Francisco Zoo with my family. I noticed several amazing animals along the way.

The Siamang is a type of monkey that has an inflatable throat sac. When I was there to see them, the two animals were screaming, perhaps talking in their own language. It was so loud that I heard it for over 2 hours while waking around the place. They live in rainforests and are threatened by pet trade, oil pollution, and habitat destruction.

The Chilean flamingo is a type of bird that lives in Southern Africa. They get their pink color from what they eat. Having long beaks and tall legs, flamingos eat shrimp from the shallow lakes they live in.

Black Tailed Prairie Dogs make their homes in North America. They mostly live near grasslands, such as the ones in Nevada and Utah. Something new I learned about them was that they are a type a squirrel.

Similar to the Black Tailed Prairie Dog is the Meerkat. When I look at these small animals, it reminds me of the meerkat twins in the move Ice Age. Meerkats are a type of mongoose that live in grasslands in Southern Africa, eating small mammals.

The Waterfowl really looks like regular ducks in my home area. They live in North and South America, dieting on water animals.

You heard of Chimpanzees, didn't you? At first sight, they animals were exactly what I imagined them to be. What do you imagine them to be like? They eat plants and live in wet areas such as marshes and swamps.

The Koala I saw was really cute! It was sleeping on a branch around a toy Santa Clause, with fake snow all around. I guess it was just for Christmas. Koalas sleep for 18-20 hours every day! They need to do this because the plants that they eat contains toxins that are hard to digest. These animals are quite rare in the world, living only on the east coast of Australia. Koalas are one of the only animals, besides the monkey species that have fingerprints similar to that of humans.

The most deadly reptile I noticed was the Green Anaconda. It is one of the largest snakes in the world, growing up to 25 feet long. They provide a tough fight, weighing up to 400 lb. Good thing that they only live on the north part of South America!

No comments: